Orientation, Welcome To Day 1 to 365
Welcome to our Experiential Learning Center. All staff will be required to complete two qualifying background checks to work at Avalon Mail Center, a Federal check and a Florida check. You are required to be a United States citizen and Florida Permanent Resident, unless you are excused as an intern or under 18 years old. All employees that turned 18 years old and have completed the 14 work-days challenge, will be required to become a Florida Notary Public and have a month to complete the 3 hours credit course during this qualifying period. Once you have met the requirements as a employee, you will enjoy the Full Employee Benefits.
Our corporate office: PostalBiz HQ
Our address: 3564 Avalon Park E Blvd, Ste 1, Orlando, FL 32828. Public phone: 407-482-0662
Employee Benefits and Performance Criteria (2022)
- Unique to our progressive business model, twice a year (July 4, Dec 24) active employees who have worked 6 months and have met the Employee Requirements will receive a Merit Goal Award or College Fund or Merit Raise. Awards and funds are calculated by dividing the number of hours worked for the past 6 months and multiplied by the performance score. This will therefore provide you a higher effective pay rate at the end of 6 months.
- Performance is based on credits from project contributions (@minutes, assignments, video quizzes), discipline (completing tasks on email, wearing the required badge, early/on-time/overtime) and leadership (initiatives, store upkeeps, customer service, responsibilities/ownership).
- Credits: Video training quizes=3 credits, Notary=3 credits, Self-evaluation=5 credits, Wearing badge=2 credits, projects assignment=3 credits
- Receive Fun Ad hoc Challenge Rewards anytime in the year by completing Assignments.
- Staff discounts are available at wholesale cost. If you want to participate in the staff discount, create your Customer Profile first and request Leo to convert it to an Staff Accountu. You can open a tap (not for beers or cocktails), for any services you use onto your store ACCOUNT and can pay at the beginning of each month. The best practice requires (1) all transactions to be recorded to encourage honesty and avoid confusion among staff. (2) To receive discount, Select your name in POS first, before you enter your transactions. In general, services are at cost, such as Copies $0.10, Notary $1, Faxing $0.20 (are recorded for tax purposes for our accountant). All carrier products will be adjusted and discounted to wholesale when the statements are generated each month. You can pay upfront or ask for a store account.
- Student Staff are entitled to 20 free B/W photocopies each month for work-study, but you are still required to enter the transaction against your staff account. Additional copies will be about 10 cents a copy.
How to Handle Scammers and Marketing Calls
We have 300 mailbox customers with businesses registered to our address. Be aware of scammers phishing for names.
BEST PRACTICE – FILTER
1. Ask “what company are you calling for?” If they get it wrong, your
confidence level drops to 1%. move on to STEP 2.
2. ” I can take a name and number. We have 300 companies here”. (No manager names or email sharing).
This is a workplace, so do not do your personal work/gaming on paid time. Don’t make it to the extreme Hall Of Fame of Don’ts. Any free time should be channeled to doing something creative that contributes to the center. If your activity does not add value to the company, then it may be the wrong thing to do.
Unique to our program, 20% of the time is invested in business development, where we encourage all staff to innovate, develop new products or work on creative projects
Don’t Make It to Hall Of Fame of Don’ts
- 2021 Ask a teammate to work the front alone, while she took 2 hours nap at the back
- 2022 Having a boyfriend over at work together at the register
- 2022 Printing / making valentine crafts for boyfriends while at work
Now.. what should I wear today?
Badge: Must be worn while at work, a set of Jedi badges are available if you prefer to be anonymous or in character for the day.
Dress code: Smart daily, Casual Saturdays, Yeah!
A name and recognition badge is provided to be worn outside your attire, which is the only way to distinguish a staff from customers. This is required and scored in the twice yearly performance and awards.
Dress code, fabrics should be crisp; colors should generally be solid; navy, black, white, gray, brown and khaki are always safe bets. Navy blue / black being the store’s adopted color. School/college t-shirts are okay. Khaki shorts are acceptable but not anything shorter or casual than that. (i,e, no PE shorts).
Women can also wear casual but professional looking pants or skirts. In addition to tailored shirts or blouses, tailored knit sweaters and sweater sets are appropriate business casual choices for women. White button-ups with a collar are also good.
Shoes: Always comfortable shoes, sneakers are okay. For the most conservative look, toes should be covered for your safety. Sandals
not extremely casual might be appropriate. Your choices reflect your judgment. Make certain you can walk comfortably in your shoes for the long hours.
Understanding the Postal Biz 5 Zone Areas
If you need more information or do not see it clearly labeled, please ask your Team Lead.
1. Drop-off Zone – area where UPS, FEDEX, USPS, DHL packages are clearly held in a clear space. No other open boxes should be located in the same space. Bins are used to avoid envelopes from falling off.
2. Scan Zone – A temporary holding location where packages will be scanned after dropped-off. (This is especially useful when customers drop-off while we are with other clients). The next available staff can then scan the packages before they are moved to their respective Drop-off Zones carrier shelves.
3. Pickup Zone – area when Customer pickup jobs completed. Payments due are placed on HOLD waiting to be paid or already to billed Account holders.
4. Tasks Zone – where work is waiting to be completed or to handover to next shift. Of course it is good practice to get it done immediately, but we will have situation say printing or custom graphic needs to be created next day by a designer. Check it regularly to follow up on tasks. You will find this zone on a portable rolling cart.
5. Mailbox Zone – where customer’s mail and packages are stored. One yellow card represents one package to be collected. This includes Fedex Hold Location (HAL) and UPS Access Point.
Common Sense / Street Smart
Each year, selected college students come to our center to participate in the Work-Study Program, where students take on “Apprentice” challenges or simply get Street Smart – skills not taught in colleges.
Be Street Smart. examples: A customer comes in and wants a box to ship their item. A staff suggest a bag because it is cheaper. The customer is annoyed: 1. The staff is not listening and understanding that a box is what the customer wants to ensure nothing gets broken. 2. Thinks the staff is not really smart, trying to sell a cheaper item for the business.
Here are a list of video trainings to complete:
How to properly Laminate
(Please remember to turn off and put the dust cover over.)
(Letters, Flats, Non-Machinable and Classified Mail)
Lithium batteries can only be shipped internationally if they are installed in the equipment they operate. Shipping carriers are not allowed to ship packages containing only lithium batteries or cells to international locations – they must be included inside a product. No markings or documentation are allowed on these international mailpieces. This rule applies to all international as well as Military APO/FPO/DPO destinations.
Standards for Domestic Shipments Containing Lithium Batteries (Use Ground Transportation)
- Each cell cannot contain more than 1 gram of lithium
- Each battery cannot contain more than 2 grams of lithium
- All packages must contain a complete return address
- For non-installed batteries, your package must have a DOT-approved lithium battery mark (UN3090)
DHL Drop-off Training
You will quickly notice, we get customer drop-offs and carrier leaving packages (better known as HOLD LOCATION HAL) all day. We scan dropoffs Fedex (once) and UPS (twice) and none for USPS Post Office (except Smart Posts). For DHL Dropoff (twice) – using the black tablet we scan [RECEIVE FROM CUSTOMER] and we [CHECK-OUT SHIPMENT] to DHL, so when the carrier comes pick it up, it is ready.
For DHL hold, you will [CHECK-IN SHIPMENT] when DHL drops it off. [DELIVER TO CUSTOMER] when pickup.
How to Forward Anytime Mailbox Requests
How to properly crimp coil spiral bound
EU Harmonize code for International Shipping
OPENING MORNING TEAM
Opening team comes with an added responsibility:
- Be on time to open with your buddy
- Turn on computers: Reg #A, Reg #B, Guest Computer
- Turn On Lights: Open Sign, Store Lights, Mailroom
- Unlock All doors: Front, Side, Back
- Login and start: POS & Cashmate (count and confirm you have minimum S100 each register). Note, the 1st transaction goes into HOLD, if POS Cashmate is not already opened first. If you cannot find your sale, check the HOLD.
- The Master station POS must be opened first always, which Leo usually does it. If prompted, just go to the Master station first and Open the register, if Leo forgets. It will say $0 in Master Register.
- Check Email tasks for new activities or appointments for the day. Reply to customers to acknowledge receipt.
- Refill printer paper and restock shelfs.
- Keep a healthy workspace. Vacuum the floor, sanitize workstations and clean the doors in the mornings.
- Crank up the music, enjoy your day at work!
Becoming a Notary Public
After you have completed your 14 Work Days Challenge and if you are 18+ years old. We will train you and get you certified with a special skill.
- Speak to your Payroll Comptroller (currently Leo) to approve and begin the Florida Certification Education.
- Begin a Three-Hour Florida Notary Self-Assessment online at your own pace: notaries.dos.state.fl.us/education/index.html
- Print your Certification of completion and give it to Payroll Comptroller.
- Fill out an Application that Payroll provides and gather your required documentation.
- Submit your signed Application package to Payroll and we will mail your application and pay for the Seal and Bond to get your commission. The professional license cost $121, but Leo will pay for it! The Seal, Bond and Certificate will remain the property of the center, but you can purchase a personal copy.
- The State takes about 3 weeks to process your license. You will receive your Commission and Notary stamp.
- You are on your way to being a Notary Trainee the next 3 weeks shadowing a senior Notary and completing 15 sessions of Notary Services to receive your merits.
- A framed certificate will be on its way, and you will be graduating from Postal Biz University!
Making Address Labels with Mail Merge
Rules of USPS First Class Parcel vs First Class Service Package
First Class Service Cheaper Package is a commercial rate discounted for Postalmate, cannot include personal correspondence except that such parcels may contain invoices, receipts, incidental advertising, and other documents that relate in all substantial respects to merchandise contained in the parcels. It is subjected to inspection, whereas First Class Parcels are private, are closed against postal inspection. [MORE INFO].
Media Mail are NOT for correspondence documents, but only for books, Music Manuscripts or Education binders CDs or Medical loose-leaf pages. Use a Report Cover (available $1). [MORE INFO]
Email to Print Process
Understanding Booklet Printing
Virtual Mailbox Check Deposits
Obtain the name of the renter’s bank and their account number and save it under the “Notes” tab in the renter’s account.
Then, pick up some deposit slips from the renter’s bank. When a deposit request comes in, simply write “for deposit only” on the back of the check, fill out the deposit slip, and either drop it off at the bank or mail it in next day. Update Virtual Mail system.
Leadership and Promotion Candidates
- Exceed your responsibilities
Promotion candidates should excel in their current responsibilities, but they should also stretch beyond the tasks assigned to them — without being asked. They view the success of the organization as their responsibility and step up to make sure that happens.
- Recognized as leaders
Just because employees don’t have direct reports doesn’t mean they can’t act like leaders. If others on the team turn to a particular employee for insight and guidance, he or she has already taken on a leadership role.
Employees who demonstrate interest in the big picture beyond their projects and task assignments are ready to start thinking about the bigger questions involved in running a larger project or store operations.
- Create solutions
Some employees report problems up the management chain. Employees with leadership ability report the problem as well as the solution they created to address it.
- Ask for feedback
Most people dread performance reviews, and many take offense at even constructive criticism. If an employee asks for feedback and applies it to improving his or her performance, that person has the motivation to develop new skills.
- Manage yourself
If employee understands the purpose of the business and project so well that he or she doesn’t need to wait for instructions on what to do next, that person can take more responsibility and use that insight to manage and guide others.
Complete all the necessary training credits and tests to be able to lead others.
Team Lead / Guardian
The Team Lead / Store Guardian is assigned to a staff to develop leadership. While on duty, the Lead is the main Notary, attends to administrative tasks, handle complaints and incidents that require attention regardless of the time of day, in addition to the normal duties.
- You are the Point contact – can substitute staff if anyone is out sick or has an emergency. Call teammates and Notary backups. Keep Leo updated of any changes for payroll purposes.
- Supervise, ensure team members respond to list of tasks on Email. If you don’t know the customer, just reply received.
- Has a Publix store card to buy water and medical supplies
- Responsible to exchange coins or small notes from Trustco Bank or Publix Customer Service
- Inspect and organize any restocks.
- Supervise the team to maintain, vacuum the store in the mornings during quiet time
- Handle customer complaints, and escalate to Management as needed. Offer the RED card to diffuse extreme situations.
- Audit the 5 Zones. Check, organize packages.
- Handle Returns. Any lost or late shipment issue, will take 2 weeks to resolve, take down the details, lookup and email the receipt to us to begin a claim. If it is a unused physical item (example a box), you can just returned product by cash, if it is under $25. For credit cards, on the same day is easy, this is known as a REVERSE (canceling), simply find the transaction and reverse a sale transaction. If it is a different day, you will need the customer card number, terminal password, to complete a refund. If you don’t the customer’s card number, ask a senior staff to complete a Refund by credit card by calling the TSYS, you will need to know time/ amount/last 4 digit of the credit card by looking at the receipt and the terminal Password. After refunding remember to adjust the register as a Return against the customer’s name, so history is captured accordingly. Most important, unused Postage must successfully be voided. You can compare with your closing total and terminal summary report after reversing to see if the total still matches.
- For lost or damage packages, submit the receipt to Kena (our claims coordinator).
Internal Fast-track Positions
Available to all employees (Notary Publics) who have worked 4 months or more.
- Store Lead
- Shift Manager
On-boarding HR Training
- Employee https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf
- Covers the w-4 topic and w-4 calculator
- Contractor W-9 1099 Awards & Scholarships https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf